County MotorPool Benefits!
- Cost Effective.
- 24/7 Accessibility.
- Convenient Locations.
- High-MPG, Hybrid, PHEV, and Electric environmentally friendly vehicles that reduce greenhouse gas emissions!
- All billing automated and simple. No additional paperwork.
MotorPool Benefits vs. Private Sector Companies:
- Private sector rates are by the day, not the hour like County MotorPool, and may be higher based on vehicle size.
- These companies typically have additional fees that may include: vehicle license fees, sales tax, and hospitality/luxury tax.
- If selected, “damage waiver” costs are additional expenses based on your level of risk tolerance.
- May not rent to underage drivers.
MotorPool Benefits vs. Using Your Own Vehicle “Insurance”:
If you are involved in an accident while operating your personal automobile on County business, your personal automobile coverage should provide primary coverage; the County’s insurance may provide coverage in excess of your own insurance. You should promptly notify both your supervisor and your own insurance carrier of the accident.
The County’s insurance coverage only extends to third-parties and does not provide coverage for any damage to your personal automobile. However, you can submit an “Employee Personal Property and Automobile Damage” claim to Risk Management. This may cover the cost of your insurance deductible ($500 per incident; $1,000 limit per fiscal year). Please see the following link for more details on filing such a claim.
Most personal automobile policies provide coverage for the occasional use of your personal automobile for business purposes. You should check with your insurance agent for details.
The best advice from GSA Fleet Services and Risk Management: Use a vehicle from the County’s Fleet MotorPool to avoid the risk of damage to your vehicle and issues with your personal insurance policy.