Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council
DEI Council VisionThe vision for the DEI Council is to develop and nurture an equitable community where everyone is able to reach their full potential.
DEI Council MissionThe mission of the DEI Council is to develop, sustain, recommend and model equity, diversity, inclusion, and anti-racist practices in collaboration with the various County agencies we represent, as well as to embrace the valued perspectives and experiences that arise from diversity within our community. Through the work of the DEI Council, we will empower and share decision-making and accountability with all members of our community and the County workforce in order to remove barriers that may exist throughout the County agencies that are the results of social injustice, inequality, and racial trauma. We are committed to engaging the voices of our community to promote equitable outcomes for all. We commit to ensuring that the County provide resources that promote equal access and opportunity for all people in order to achieve a prosperous society, and we advocate for policies that secure diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racist practices within the County of Ventura.
Ventura County is home to one of the nation’s most diverse populations. Diversity factors include geographical communities, socioeconomic status, thinking styles, educational background, etc. The County of Ventura’s workforce is reflective of this makeup. It is important for the County of Ventura as an organization to appreciate the significant contribution of its diverse workforce to maximize outcomes for the population it serves.
With the leadership of our Board of Supervisors and the support of the CEO, the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force was launched in February of 2017 and became a permanent Council in 2021. The Council is comprised of a diverse and representative group of leaders across all Agencies.
- First, the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Council will enhance and strengthen systems, programs, and learning in the County of Ventura to ensure we have the best practices to work effectively and leverage differences with all team members, customers, and with the community.
- Second, to improve outcomes for community members, deliver culturally responsive services, and maintain successful partnerships with community organizations.
The DEI Council will ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts are not only in line with each other but are consistent with our organizational objectives. All objectives and activities will be designed to meet specific goals and will be evaluated based on these goals. The DEI Council will provide recommendations to leadership on policies, programs, training, best practices, initiatives and serve as a communication link between all County of Ventura Agencies.
DEI County Goals
- Build internal capacity within the County of Ventura to ensure we have the systems and practices to work effectively and leverage differences with all team members, customers, and the community
- Improve outcomes for community members, deliver culturally responsive services, and maintain successful partnerships with community organizations. This Council will ensure that cultural diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts are not only in line with each other but are consistent with our organizational objectives and accountability goals
- Provide recommendations to leadership on policies, programs, training, best practices, initiatives and serve as a communication link between all County of Ventura agencies
- Assess the strengths, weaknesses, barriers and opportunities related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the county workforce and policies Research and identify DEI-AR best practices to improve the quality of life for all individuals within Ventura County Create a Countywide Racial Equity Action Plan and agency-specific Racial Equity Action Plans
- Review, create and recommend policy, programs, training, and communication strategies to improve and promote DEI-AR
- Measure impacts of the DEI accountability action plans
- Collaborate internally and externally with key stakeholders in order to ensure all voices are heard
Current DEI Council Members
- Selfa Saucedo, Chair
- Paul Nuñez, Vice-Chair
- Carlo Aldeguer
- Anitha Balan
- Talia Barrera
- Casey Beighley
- Nancy Beltran
- Vijay Bhemisetty
- Jorge Bonilla
- Lydia Collins
- Dee Dinnie
- Donna Gillesby
- Renee Higgins
- Brooke Hill
- Leticia Morales
- Dave Nafie
- Claudia Nevarez
- Monique Nowlin
- Jennifer Orozco
- Barry Parker
- Jose Rivera
- Michael Rodriguez
- Beckie Willhite
- Erika Zapien
CEO Staff Support
- Steven Auclair
- Dr. Gabriela Cázares
- Kate English
- Natalie Hernandez
Current DEI Leadership Accountability Team
- Claudia Bautista
- Melissa Livingston
- Marcus Mitchell
- Keith Taylor
The Ventura County Mentor Program is designed to help prepare professional staff to be successful candidates for management and senior management positions by providing them one-on-one time with effective senior managers. After the pilot program occurs, the development of a Countywide Mentor Program will begin. More info can be found here (MyVCWeb – Mentor Program (ventura.ca.us)). (County Intranet Only)
- Reading and Resource Links (County Intranet Only)
- LinkedIn Learning Courses on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Our Equal Employment Opportunity plans and policies can be found here: https://hr.ventura.org/equal-employment-opportunity. The County of Ventura will follow its EEO policy in recruitment, hiring, and promotion into all classifications and with respect to matters of compensation, benefits, transfers, assignments, tours of duty, shifts, layoffs returns from layoff, demotions, terminations, training, education leave, social and recreational programs, and use of County facilities.
For questions or more information, please get in touch with us at CountyDEI@ventura.org.
Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
800 South Victoria #1940
Hall of Administration 4th Floor
Ventura, CA 93009
NOTE: As a convenience to our visitors, this page may contain links to external websites that are not managed or controlled by the County of Ventura.