Public Safety Racial Equity Advisory Group (PSREAG)
Public Safety Racial Equity Advisory Group (PSREAG) Creation
The Ventura County Board of Supervisors (BOS) resolution adopted on November 10, 2020 declared racism a public health crisis and pledged to promote equity, inclusion, and diversity in housing, employment, economic development, health care, and public safety in the County of Ventura. The BOS envisioned an independent advisory group of public safety and community leaders, all of whom would collaborate to create greater understanding and identify strategies and proposals to improve institutional law enforcement practices.
You can review the BOS resolution of racism as a public health crisis here and the PSREAG Bylaws here.
Purpose Public Safety Racial Equity Advisory Group (PSREAG) provides a forum where public safety and community stakeholders collaborate to improve communications and understanding amongst the parties and the greater public. The PSREAG will work to identify potential solutions for improving law enforcement policies and procedures and community engagement.
- Improve Communications: Work together in a two-way dialogue between public safety agencies and community organizations that share an interest in advancing an equitable justice system and creating a community forum by which information, education, and ideas are encouraged and exchanged.
- Improve Policies and Procedures: This forum will help increase public understanding of public safety policies and procedures, and identify areas of concern and offer potential solutions or strategies for enhancements. Findings, proposals or recommendations may be submitted in a report to the County CEO for placement on a Board of Supervisors meeting agenda at least every six (6) months or as needed and will be distributed throughout the community.
PSREAG Action Plan
PSREAG will be composed of five (5) Agency Members representing the County of Ventura government and public safety agencies and ten (10) Community Group Members from across the County of Ventura, each of whom possesses one (1) vote when votes need to be taken and recorded.
Community Group Members
- Ventura County NAACP (Secretary)
- Santa Paula Latino Town Hall
- Black Lawyers of Ventura County (Co-Chair)
- Latinx Bar Association
- Mixteco Indigena Community Organizing Project (MICOP)
- Diversity Collective of Ventura County
- We Belong 805
- Future Leaders of America
- VC Asian American Bar Association
- Conejo Valley Interfaith Association
Agency Members / County of Ventura and Public Safety Representatives:
- Municipal Law Enforcement Agency Head (Chief of Police)
- District Attorney
- Public Defender (Chair)
For more information, please review the PSREAG Charter.
Have public comments or questions for the Public Safety Racial Equity Advisory Group?
Contact staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regular meetings are open to the public and held the first Thursday of each month from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Meeting agendas will be publicly posted at the County Hall of Administration and via this web page a minimum of 72 hours ahead of the scheduled meeting time. Please see the upcoming agenda for the meeting location.
2023 Regularly Scheduled Meetings:
- Thursday, January 5, 2023 @ 5:30pm
- Thursday, February 2, 2023@ 5:30pm
- Thursday, March 3, 2023@ 5:30pm
- Thursday, April 6, 2023 @ 5:30pm (Regular Meeting Cancelled – See Special Meetings)
- Thursday, May 4, 2023 @ 5:30pm (Regular Meeting Cancelled – See Special Meetings)
- Thursday, June 1, 2023 @ 5:30pm
- Thursday, July 6, 2023 @ 5:30pm
- Thursday, August 3, 2023 @ 5:30pm
- Thursday, September 7, 2023 @ 5:30pm
- Thursday, October 5, 2023 @ 5:30pm
- Thursday, November 2, 2023 @ 5:30pm
- Thursday, December 7, 2023 @ 5:30pm
2023 Special Meetings – Open Sessions:
- Saturday, February 11, 2023 @ 9am Retreat with Evolve Equity
- Thursday, May 4, 2023 @ 5:30pm
- Thursday, April 6, 2023 @ 5:30pm Retreat with Evolve Equity
Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
800 South Victoria #1940
Hall of Administration 4th Floor
Ventura, CA 93009
NOTE: As a convenience to our visitors, this page may contain links to external websites that are not managed or controlled by the County of Ventura.