Open a New Case

Applying For Services

You can apply for services using the three simple methods below.

  1. Online
  2. By mail:
  3. In person:
    • Walk in our office during regular business hours to pick up an application.


I Just Submitted An Application, What’s Next?

Once the Department of Child Support Services receives a completed application and request for services, we will open a case within 20 calendar days. You will receive a case opening packet with your child support case number. You will also receive a temporary PIN to access the Customer Connect website and phone system (IVR).


How Is A Court Order For Child Support Obtained?

If you do not have a child support court order, our office will establish one for you. The process begins with a lawsuit for child support called a Summons and Complaint. The non-custodial parent will be served with the Summons and Complaint and will have 30 days to file an answer with the court or agree to an order for support.

If she/he makes no contact with our office, the court will enter a judgment based on the information in the Summons and Complaint. This process can be delayed if the non-custodial parent lives in another state or if we do not have a current address for her/him.

If you were served with a Summons and Complaint, please do not ignore it. If you want a hearing, you or your attorney should file an answer. You may also contact this office to resolve the case. If you do not respond, it may result in a court order that is not based on actual circumstances.


How Is Support Calculated?

The amount of a child support order is determined by a formula set by State law. The formula, called the Guideline Calculator, is so complex that a computer program is used for the calculation. You can use the public Guideline Calculator at the following link:

Child Support Guideline Calculator

Two of the most important factors used in the Guideline Calculation are income and visitation information for both parents. Other important factors include the number of children, health insurance premiums, and child care costs.


How Do You Establish Paternity?

If the mother and father were not married at the time of the child’s birth and did not sign a paternity declaration, paternity will need to be established. Establishing paternity creates a legal relationship between father and child. Once paternity is established, both father and child have certain legal privileges. If paternity is in question, genetic testing is available at no cost.

Paternity can be established without a court order through the Paternity Opportunity Program. For information and instructions about how to file a Paternity Declaration, please click here.


NOTE: As a convenience to our visitors, this page may contain links to external websites that are not managed or controlled by the County of Ventura.