Complaint Resolution and State Hearing

Role of the Ombudsperson 

An Ombudsperson is available at our office to assist parents, employers, and the community by providing information about the child support program, resolving issues, and answering questions. The Ombudsperson also evaluates customer satisfaction and suggests ways to resolve concerns and improve customer service.


Resolving Issues With Your Case

The Ventura County Department of Child Support Services makes effort within our authority to resolve any issues you have with your case. Most issues can be resolved with a single phone call or letter. Additional time is sometimes necessary. Please be assured that we will resolve your matter as quickly as we can.

If for any reason you are dissatisfied with the results, you may file a formal complaint. Complaint Resolution forms are available by calling 866-901-3212 or at our office.

IMPORTANT: The Ventura County Department of Child Support Services cannot resolve complaints regarding actions taken by the court such as the amount of a child support order, custody, visitation, or spousal support orders. Only the court can resolve these matters. Please see your local Family Law Facilitator, an advocate, or a lawyer for help in resolving these issues.


Complaint Resolution Process

The Ventura County Department of Child Support Services is required to respond to every complaint, in writing, within 30 days. If additional time is necessary, the Ventura County Department of Child Support Services will mail a notice stating the reason for the extension.

Issues that can be addressed using the Complaint Resolution Process:

  • Decision to open or close a case
  • Failure to establish a court order for child support
  • Collection and distribution of payments
  • Calculation of past due payments
  • Efforts to modify the child support amount
  • Timeliness of service
  • Enforcement of efforts
  • Location efforts
  • Audit requests


Important Complaint Resolution Dates

  • You must file your complaint within 90 days of the date of the action that prompted the complaint
  • If you disagree with the written decision on your complaint from the Ventura County Department of Child Support Services, you must request a State Hearing within 90 days of receiving that decision
  • Note: If the Ventura County Department of Child Support Services does not respond to your complaint in writing, you must request a State Hearing within 90 days of the date of your complaint
  • Additional information about the statewide Complaint Resolution process is available from the California Department of Child Support Services


State Hearing 

Certain complaint decisions made by the Ventura County Department of Child Support Services can be appealed to a State Hearing. Only the following issues are subject to State Hearing:

  • Denial of child support services
  • Child support services not provided timely or in the manner required by law
  • Incorrect or missing support payments
  • Decisions to close a case
  • The amount of arrears owed is inaccurate
  • The Ombudsperson Program also assists parties through the State Hearing process. They will help arrange for special accommodations and interpreters needed at State Hearings

Translate Disclaimer

The website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the website, and are provided “as is.” No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.