Agricultural Commissioner Header

Pesticide Use Enforcement - FAQs

Pesticide Emergency

In case of a pesticide emergency such as a drift or other exposure, please call the Agricultural Commissioner at (805)933-2926 or (805) 388-4222 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday – Friday. Outside business hours, please call 911. Also call your personal doctor. Medical personnel are required to report pesticide exposures to the County Health Officer.

The Ag/Urban Interface

Farmers must have operational buffers around fumigation areas. New non-agricultural uses next to farms may require a land use buffer around the non-farming use. See our Land Use section.


1. When is a permit required?

A restricted materials permit is required whenever anyone uses a California Restricted Material. These are materials designated as restricted by regulation in CCR Section 6400.

2. What do I need to do before I apply for my permit?

Bring in proof that you are either a certified private or commercial applicator or that you will not be applying the materials yourself, provide a map of your property and any sensitive sites near your property, provide a list of the restricted materials that you plan on using, provide information on what pest control businesses you will be dealing with.

3. How can I become a certified private applicator?

You can take the examination to become a private applicator at our office and you must pass with a score of 70% or above. Study material is available from the Farm Adviso

4. When are permits and operator identification numbers issued?

Permits are issued from 7:30 – 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Please make an appointment for permits or work site plans, (805) 933-2926 (Santa Paula) | (805) 388-4222 (Camarillo). Permits and operator identification numbers can be obtained from any of our offices.

5. What is the difference between an operator id and a permit?

An operator identification number is required for anyone who applies a pesticide for an agricultural use. An agricultural use is anything except the following; 1) residential use, 2) industrial or institutional use, 3) structural pest control, 4) use by a licensed veterinarian on an animal, or 5) uses for public health purposes such a mosquito abatement. A permit is only required when the material being used is a California Restricted Material.

6. When am I required to report my pesticide use?

A pesticide use report is required whenever a pesticide is applied for an agricultural use, a California Restricted Material is applied or a pesticide is applied for hire. This means that uses on Public Rights of Way, parks, cemeteries and other recreational areas, reservoirs and irrigation canals and uses by licensed maintenance gardeners must be reported. If the use requires an operator identification number or a permit it must be reported. Pesticide Use Reports are generally due by the 10th of the month following the month of use, unless the pesticide was applied by a commercial applicator on an agricultural crop.

7. Where do I go to register my pest control business?

Pest Control Business registrations can be processed at the Santa Paula District office or the Camarillo District office during normal office hours. An inspector can register your business at the Ventura Office from 7:30 to 9:30 am or from 12:30 to 2:30 pm. Please provide a copy of your business license for the current year.

8. What happens if I am cited by an agricultural inspector for a violation during an inspection?

If you receive a non-compliance on an inspection report, you will generally receive a call from the inspector sometime after the inspection. The inspector will issue you a violation notice which will tell you exactly what you did and what section of the code you were in violation of. This is also your opportunity to discuss the situation with the inspector to make sure that you understand what you are being cited for. The inspection and violation notice will be reviewed by the Supervisor and the Deputy Commissioner and a penalty may or may not be assessed. If you are assessed a penalty you will be given the opportunity to have a hearing to present evidence to the Commissioner as to why you should not be penalized.California has the most stringent pesticide regulations in the nation.Permits are issued in the Santa Paula office from 7:30 – 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Please make an appointment for permits or work site plans, (805) 933-2926.

A Closed System is required by California Code of Regulations section 6746. For more information on Closed Systems approved by the California Department of Pesticide Regulations go to:

Translate Disclaimer

The website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the website, and are provided “as is.” No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.