Ventura County Government Center
800 South Victoria Ave
Ventura, CA 93009-1290
Office hours are 8:00am – 4:30pm, Monday – Friday
Phone: 805-654-3744, M-F, 8am-12pm & 1pm-4:30pm

Transient Occupancy Tax

Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) for the County of Ventura

The Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) is a local tax authorized under Ventura County’s Uniform Transient Occupancy Tax Ordinance. The TOT, commonly known as a “bed tax” or “hotel tax”, is a tax of 8% of the rent charged to transient guests in hotels/motels and homes rented by owners located in the areas of Ventura County that are outside the city limits.

Revenue and Taxation Code 7280. (a) The legislative body of any city, county, or city and county may levy a tax on the privilege of occupying a room or rooms, or other living space, in a hotel, inn, tourist home or house, motel, or other lodging unless the occupancy in for a period of more than 30 days. The tax, when levied by the legislative body of a county, applies only to the unincorporated areas of the county.

Any person/entity operating a facility providing accommodations to transients (hotel, motel, bed & breakfast, vacation rental, etc.) located within the unincorporated areas of Ventura County must obtain a valid Business Tax Certificate and register for a Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate.

For more information, please contact the Transient Occupancy Tax desk at (805) 654-3727.

4 Pictures of Ventura County

Translate Disclaimer

The website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the website, and are provided “as is.” No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.