HSA Logo Header

Child/Adult Abuse & Neglect Hotline: 805-654-3200

BenefitsCal Banner

How to Apply for Benefits


Medi-Cal is California’s Medicaid healthcare program that provides comprehensive health coverage for people with low or no income. In Ventura County, Medi-Cal is administered by the Human Services Agency. To qualify for Medi-Cal, you have to live in California and meet program eligibility rules.

Medi-Cal provides comprehensive health coverage for for individuals with low incomes, including:

  • Families with children
  • Seniors
  • Persons with disabilities
  • Children in out-of-home care
  • CalWORKs participants
  • Pregnant individuals
  • People with low incomes who have specific diseases such as tuberculosis, breast cancer, or HIV/AIDS

What Is Medi-Cal?

Call a health navigator if you need assistance completing any Medi-Cal forms.

Interface: Call 833-607-2650 to speak with a Medi-Cal Navigator or text “medical” to 211211

MICOP: For support in Mixtec, Spanish and English, call 805-215-0730 or visit 135 Magnolia Ave, Oxnard, CA 93030


The CalFresh program helps families and people who have little or no income buy groceries. CalFresh benefits come loaded on an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card that can be used like a bank debit card to buy food at most grocery stores, farmers markets and other places that sell food.

You may be eligible to receive CalFresh benefits if you are a U.S. Citizen, eligible non-citizen or Legal Permanent Resident with low or no income, or if you receive one of our Cash-Aid Programs, such as CalWORKs or General Relief.

CalFresh provides monthly food benefits to individuals and families with low income, including:

  • Seniors
  • Persons with disabilities
  • SSI/SSP recipients
  • CalWORKs participants
  • College Students

If you are without money for food today, you may qualify for expedited services. For more information about emergency food – expedited services, click CalFresh benefits.

What Is CalFresh?


The CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity & Responsibility to Kids) program can provide cash assistance to families with children. Certain adults in the program must participate in Welfare-to-Work activities, looking for work, attending job trainings, working, or furthering education—to lead to self-sufficiency.

You may qualify for CalWORKs if you:

  • Are a US citizen or immigrant who has been given permission to live in the United States
  • Live in California and plan to stay
  • Have a Social Security number or have applied for one, and
  • Meet the income limits for your family size

Additionally, you may qualify for CalWORKS if you:

  • Are a caretaker of a minor child
  • Are pregnant or have eligible minor children
  • If one or both parents:
    • do not live in the home,
    • are no longer living, or
    • are disabled;
  • Or if both parents are living in the home but the principal earner is unemployed or working <100 hours/month when applying

CalWORKs participants are automatically eligible for Medi-Cal and may qualify for CalFresh.

What Is CalWORKs?

Welcome to BenefitsCal—a new and simple way to apply, view, and renew benefits!

Check out more videos on how to apply for benefits, report changes, link a case, reset a password, and more here.

How Do I Apply?

There are several ways to apply for Medi-Cal, CalFresh & CalWORKs benefits:

Fill out an application here (or coveredca.com for Medi-Cal)

Download an application:

Medi-Cal Application: English or Spanish
CalFresh Application: English (Large Print) or Spanish


Call a Community Service Center to request a paper application, which includes a return postage-paid envelope.

Then, complete the applications and either:

Drop it off at a Community Service Center, or

Fax it to 805-658-4530, or

Mail the completed form to:
County of Ventura
Human Services Agency L#5290
855 Partridge Drive
Ventura, CA 93003-9565

Call 888-472-4463  TTY 800-735-2922 or 711 to apply over the phone

Healthcare application information cannot be used for civil immigration enforcement. Read this letter for more information.

Income Requirements

Below are the income limits for Adults Ages 19–64, based on the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) amounts.
Number of People in Your Household If Your Monthly Income* is at or below 138% FPL If Your Monthly Income* is between 138% and 400% FPL If Your Monthly Income** is at or below 130% FPL If Your Monthly Income is at or below MBSAC***
1 $1,564 $1,564–$4,530 $1,473 $807
2 $2,106 $2,106–$6,103 $1,984 $1,324
3 $2,650 $2,650–$7,677 $2,495 $1,641
4 $3,192 $3,192–$9,250 $3,007 $1,947
5 $3,735 $3,735–$10,824 $3,518 $2,221
You May Qualify for… Medi-Cal Health Insurance Premium Assistance CalFresh CalWORKs

Individuals eligible for Medi-Cal due to other conditions such as blindness, disability, or age may be subject to different income and asset criteria.

*Figures are current through December 31, 2023.
**Figures are current through September 30, 2023.
***Figures are current through June 2023 and are Minimum Basic Standard of Adequate Care (MBSAC) Levels, a tool used by California’s Department of Social Services to determine CalWORKs eligibility.


Questions & Useful Links

Get answers and find more information

Benefits Status

Check the status of your benefits

Report Changes

How to report income or other changes

Replacement Card

How to request a benefit replacement card

Translate Disclaimer

The Ventura.org website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the Ventura.org website, and are provided “as is.” No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.