California College Fee Waiver Program
In gratitude for their service, the CAL-VET California Department of Veterans Affairs College Fee Waiver (CCFW) Program provides higher education benefits to the dependents of service-connected disabled or deceased veterans.
Eligible CCFW benefit recipients include dependent children, a spouse, Registered Domestic Partner (RDP) or the un-remarried surviving spouse or RDP of a veteran with a service-connected disability or of a deceased veteran whose death was service connected.
Eligible students are:
- Residents of the State of California,
- Awarded benefits on an academic year basis; and
- Required to reapply each year for continued benefits.
Colleges included in the CCFW program are:
- University of California campuses
- California State Universities
- State of California Community Colleges
Students must meet all of the requirements of at least one of the following three plans:
|A||Child, spouse, Registered Domestic Partner (RDP) or un-remarried surviving spouse or RDP of a veteran who is disabled or has died of service-related causes during a qualifying war period.||No income restrictions||The child must obtain eligibility before the age of 21, be over 14 years old and under 27 years old unless the child is also a veteran, then the period is extended to age 30. No age limit for a spouse, RDP, or un-remarried surviving spouse.||A student cannot receive U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Chapter 35 and CCFW benefits during the same academic year.|
|B||Child of a veteran who has a service-connected disability or has died of service-related causes.||Child's annual income cannot exceed $13,300* for the school academic year 2020-21.||No age limit||*Defined as the total of adjusted gross income plus the value of parental support during the previous year. The amount is changed each academic year, call (805) 477-5155 to obtain the current amount or go online to CAL-VET California College Fee Waiver Program.|
|C||Any dependent, spouse, Registered Domestic Partner (RDP), or un-remarried surviving spouse of a member of the California National Guard who is permanently disabled, died of a disability resulting from an event that occurred while in active service or has died while in active service of the state.||No income limit.||No age limit.||Active service of the state means a member of the California National Guard activated under Section 146 of the Military and Veterans Code.|
Application & Required Forms
To apply for the California College Fee Waiver program, the student must submit a completed application along with the following forms:
- Proof of relationship between veteran and student/dependent, e.g. birth certificate or marriage certificate
- A copy of the veteran’s Department of Veterans Affairs or Department of Defense award letter
For students applying for Plan A, B, C, or D benefits:
- Previous year’s federal income tax form 1040 or state form 540
- If the student is married, a copy of the joint tax return and copies of the student’s W-2s and/or 1099s must be provided to show the dependent’s income does not exceed the income limit where applicable
- If the student reports an Adjusted Gross Income of $0 and a Value of Support of $0, a written statement explaining how the student is supporting themselves must be provided
- If the student had no reportable income and did not file a tax return, you may need to request the Verification of Non-filing Letter form, from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a statement from the Franchise Tax Board (FTB).
- To obtain statements call: Local IRS Office (805) 445-4771, IRS (800) 829-1040, FTB (800) 829-4059
Completed application packages can be mailed, faxed (805) 477-5418, or hand delivered to the Veteran Services Office located at 5740 Ralston Street, Suite 304, Ventura, CA 93003. Please allow ten (10) business days for processing. Call (805) 477-5155 with any questions.
- CAL-VET California Department of Veterans Affairs (Plan A, B, C, D)
- College Fee Waiver Application
- College Fee Waiver Notice
- College Fee Waiver Calculator
- VSD-020 – Election of Fee Waiver in lieu of Chapter 35
- VSD-021 – Non-Veteran Signature
- VSD-022 – Non-Filing Letter for Calendar Year 2019
- California College Fee Waiver Program brochure
- IRS Local Office Locator