HSA Logo Header

Child/Adult Abuse & Neglect Hotline: 805-654-3200

Frequently Asked Questions - After 18

Once they turn 18, emerging adults will automatically be eligible for extended support by living in an approved placement and signing a mutual agreement. A caseworker will be assigned to assist emerging adults in developing their own case plan and help them meet program requirements. Those who do not wish to participate can leave the program and “opt-out.”

Can emerging adults leave their current placement at age 18?

Yes, they can either choose to remain in their current living setting or choose to live in another placement that is developed as part of their case plan.

What benefits do emerging adults receive?

Financial assistance for housing will be provided to them along with case management.

How often do emerging adults meet with their case worker?

They will have monthly meetings with their caseworker and will attend a hearing every six months to review progress on their individual case plan.

What other benefits do emerging adults receive that are not related to AB12?

Once youth “opt-out,” can they decide later on that they want to participate in the program?

Yes, they can leave the program at any time under what is called “trial independence” and come back at any time as long as they meet program eligibility requirements.

Can emerging adults who are parents participate?

Yes, emerging adults who are parents have the same rights in the program as others.

Translate Disclaimer

The Ventura.org website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the Ventura.org website, and are provided “as is.” No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.