Take the COVID-19 After-Action Report Survey

Your participation in this survey plays a crucial role in shaping our understanding of the County’s COVID-19 response efforts and ensuring that we are effectively meeting the needs of our community.

Save Our Food

Ventura County is under attack from 2 invasive pests.


Updated 3/24/2021

Under California law, adults 21 or older can use, carry, and grow cannabis. You can also use cannabis if you are 18 or older and have a current qualifying physician’s recommendation or a valid county-issued medical marijuana identification card.

This page provides a high-level summary of cannabis for adult personal use, medical, and commercial activities in Ventura County. Please follow the links provided on this page for further information.

NOTE: Cannabis used as a drug remains classified as a Schedule I drug under the federal Controlled Substances Act, and its purchase, possession, distribution, or use within California may be unlawful under federal law. While it is our intention to provide current information, this website is not for the purpose of providing legal advice and can become outdated. Contact your attorney if you have questions about cannabis, what is (or is not) legal under state or federal law or need legal advice.

Personal Adult Recreational and Medical Activities

  • You can consume cannabis on private property, but you cannot consume, smoke, eat, or vape cannabis in public places.
  • Property owners and landlords may ban the use and possession of cannabis on their properties.
  • Even though it is legal under California law, you cannot consume or possess cannabis on federal lands like national parks, even if the park is in California.
  • You can buy and possess up to one ounce (28.5 grams) of cannabis and up to eight grams of concentrated cannabis.
  • For personal adult recreation and medical uses, you can also plant, harvest, dry, and process up to six cannabis plants in your private residence or on the grounds of your residence.

Commercial Cannabis Activities

  • Commercial activities such as retail sale is currently prohibited in unincorporated Ventura County but is allowed in the following cities in Ventura County:

Industrial Hemp

Under California law, at the discretion of each county, county Agricultural Commissioners may accept applications for the cultivation of industrial hemp on behalf of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA). Hemp is defined as Cannabis sativa that is low in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive component of Cannabis. It is grown locally for cannabinoid oils, (CBD, CBG, etc.), as “smokable” hemp, and for seed and nursery stock for those uses.

  • Cultivation of flowering industrial hemp is currently prohibited in Ventura County within a quarter mile of certain sensitive sites including residential zones within cities, certain unincorporated residential areas, schools, daycare centers, colleges, medical facilities and the Tierra Rejada Valley area.
  • Research plots of 5 acres or less, low-odor varieties, hemp grown in odor-controlled greenhouses, and hemp grown with the permission of all sensitive sites within a quarter mile are exempted from the prohibition.
  • For more information, please refer to the following documents.

Translate Disclaimer

The Ventura.org website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the Ventura.org website, and are provided “as is.” No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.