HSA Logo Header

Child/Adult Abuse & Neglect Hotline: 805-654-3200

IHSS Most Asked Questions

Useful Links

Who can apply for IHSS?
California residents can apply for IHSS if they:

  • Are SSI/SSP or Medi–Cal eligible AND
  • Are blind, disabled OR 65 years of age or older AND
  • Are living in a home, apartment or residence of choice (not including a hospital, nursing home, assisted living or licensed care facility) AND
  • Are unable to live safely at home without care.

How do I apply for IHSS?
If you already have Medi-Cal or once you’re approved for it, you can come into the office or call 805-654-3236 to submit an application, or fax your completed application to 805-654-3206 (Ventura, Ojai, Camarillo, Oxnard area) or 805-306-7910 (Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley area). Once your application and Healthcare Certification are received, a social worker will come to your home to conduct an assessment of your mental and physical abilities and limitations to determine whether you qualify for the program.

What is a Share of Cost, and how does it affect what I pay for IHSS services?
Your Share of Cost (SOC) is a set monthly amount similar to a deductible that is calculated by the Medi-Cal program based on your income. IHSS does not determine your SOC; however, IHSS providers are paid through Medi-Cal funding and therefore your Medi-Cal SOC is applied to your IHSS services. After you pay your SOC each month, Medi-Cal will then pay your provider for any remaining hours worked in the month.

What tasks can my provider help me with?
IHSS authorized services may include:

  • Domestic services (housecleaning, shopping, preparing meals and laundry)
  • Personal care (dressing, bathing, toileting, feeding, bowel & bladder care, ambulation & transfer)
  • Paramedical services (help with injections, colostomy and catheter care, etc., under the direction of licensed medical personnel)
  • Accompaniment to a medical appointment when IHSS tasks must be provided either in transit or while at the appointment. Accompaniment is not covered for transportation purposes only.
  • Protective supervision (for individuals who, due to a mental impairment or mental illness, need to be observed 24 hours per day to protect them from injuries, hazards or accidents)

If I move to another county, how do I transfer my IHSS services?
When moving to another county, you will need to contact your social worker to provide information regarding which county you are moving to, the date of your move and your new address and phone number. It is important to notify your IHSS social worker prior to moving so the intercounty transfer process can be started to avoid any interruption to your services.

If you do not know anyone who can provide your IHSS services, you may request a list of screened, trained IHSS registry providers by contacting the Public Authority at 805-654-5552.

Translate Disclaimer

The Ventura.org website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation, however, no automated translation is perfect nor is it intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to users of the Ventura.org website, and are provided “as is.” No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from English into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may not be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

The official text is the English version of the website. Any discrepancies or differences created in the translation are not binding and have no legal effect for compliance or enforcement purposes. If any questions arise related to the accuracy of the information contained in the translated website, please refer to the English version of the website which is the official version.