Ventura County Government Center
Hall of Administration Building, Fourth Floor
800 S. Victoria Ave.
Ventura, CA 93009-1940
County Executive Officer
Michael Powers became the County Executive Officer for Ventura County in April of 2011. In this role he oversees a budget of over $2 billion, and nearly 9,000 employees in 27 agencies and departments. Along with his strong leadership team, he is responsible for overseeing and supporting all major county functions and services including budget, finance, legislation, human resources, labor relations, economic development and information technology.
As CEO, Mike is focused on providing quality public service, ensuring fiscal discipline, protecting the environment while supporting responsible land use and infrastructure development, investing in critical facilities and information technology projects, as well as our community and County workforce, and working to keep the county’s communities safe and healthy.
Prior to being named as the CEO, Mike was the Director of the Health Care Agency where he was responsible for the operation and management of the County’s health departments, including the Ventura County Medical Center, Santa Paula Hospital, the County’s system of clinics, and its Public Health and Behavioral Health departments. His duties also included the oversight of the Medical Examiner’s Office and the County-run health plan.
He left a private legal practice to become Assistant County Counsel in 1992 and then held several positions within the Health Care Agency prior to becoming its director.
During Mike’s tenure, with the support of the Board of Supervisors and a talented team of County leaders and workforce, the County’s achievements include the following:
- Lowering County overhead expenses by over $19 million per year.
- Increasing the County’s reserves to more than 13 percent.
- Achieving Standard and Poor’s, and Moody’s highest possible long-term bond rating of AAA.
- Construction of the County’s new replacement hospital.
- Development of County’s first Economic Vitality Plan.
- Process improvement efficiencies with an ongoing value of nearly 37 million a year.
- Reopening Santa Paula Hospital.
- The development of a pediatric oncology program and the countywide trauma system.
- Investments in IT, infrastructure and employee development, training and retention.
Mike has a degree in Economics and Business from UCLA, and received his law degree from Loyola Law School. He serves on a number of boards, including the Ventura County Chapter of the American Red Cross; the Ventura County Community Foundation; the ARC Foundation of Ventura County; the Ventura County Leadership Academy Advisory Council and the Ventura County Continuum of Care Alliance.
Mike feels it is a privilege to work alongside the talented, passionate and high-caliber people who form the County Family. He was born and raised in Ventura, where he resides with his wife Erin, and two sons Charlie and Zackary.