Welcome to the Camarillo Airport
The Camarillo Airport (CMA), as it is known today, was the former Oxnard Air Force Base. The base was established in the early 1950’s for coastal defense and a variety of military aircraft operated here until 1969 when the base was deactivated. After a lengthy surplus process, CMA officially opened as a General Aviation airport in 1976 and occupies approximately 650 acres of land. CMA is owned and operated by the County of Ventura in partnership with the City of Camarillo through a Joint Powers Authority (JPA).
Today CMA is the proud home of over 600 general aviation aircraft and there are between 150,000 and 200,000 take offs and landings per year. The airport community includes several aviation businesses providing flight instruction (fixed wing and helicopter), aircraft maintenance, and aircraft charter and storage. CMA is home to the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA), the Commemorative Air Force (CAF), the Ventura County 99’s, and an Ultralight Airpark. There is also an Airport Business Park that includes several County agencies, a variety of businesses, and several education institutions.
CMA provides nearly $200 Million in positive economic benefit to the local community and supports over 1,000 jobs. The Federal Aviation Administration recently categorized CMA as a National Asset. It certainly is an asset to our local community and the County of Ventura.