Wireless Communication Facility (WCF) Ordinance
The Ventura County Planning Division receives numerous applications for wireless communication facilities each year.As the wireless communications industry continues to implement a wireless network to provide the next generation of wireless service (fourth generation service, or 4G), the number of applications for new wireless communication facilities is expected to increase. Because Ventura County does not currently have a comprehensive set of regulations for wireless communication facilities, processing these applications can be challenging and time consuming.
Click Here for What’s New (upcoming meetings, pubic review documents)
On November 13, 2012, the Board of Supervisors approved the Planning Division’s proposal to develop a Wireless Communication Facility Ordinance. Its purpose is to provide a uniform and comprehensive set of standards and guidelines for the development of wireless communication facilities in the unincorporated areas of Ventura County.
Although the Planning Division will develop Wireless Communication Facility Ordinances for both the Non-Coastal and Coastal Zoning Ordinances, regulations are only being developed for the Non-Coastal Zoning Ordinance at this time. Planning Division staff will inform the public when work begins on proposed regulations for the Coastal Zoning Ordinance. Click here to see a map of the non-coastal and coastal unincorporated areas of Ventura County.
In addition to the 3 public outreach meetings that took place in 2013, there will be three opportunities this year (2014) for County residents and other interested parties to participate in the planning process:
1. The Draft WCF Ordinance is currently available for public review (click here). The following two interactive public presentations are designed to provide an overview and gather feedback on the Draft WCF Ordinance:
- May 19th, 7:00 PM, Ojai Municipal Advisory Committee, Oakview Community Center, 18 Valley Rd., Oakview
- June 12th, 6:30-8:00 PM, Thousand Oaks Sheriff Station, East County Community Room, 2101 E. Olsen Rd., Thousand Oaks
If you have any comments regarding the draft ordinance, questions regarding the process, and/or would like to add your name to our email list to receive periodic updates and schedules of upcoming meetings, please contact Aaron Engstrom at (805) 654-2936 or Aaron.Engstrom@ventura.org.
2. A 45-day public review period for the draft Ordinance and its CEQA document. During that period, members of the public can submit comments and, if requested, staff will attend a limited number of MAC meetings. Public review is tentatively scheduled for the summer of this year (2014).
3. Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors hearings during the ordinance adoption process. The Board hearing is tentatively scheduled for fall of this year (2014).
- The Draft Wireless Communications Facilities Ordinance
- Slideshow from May 19th Ojai Municipal Advisory Committee Meeting
- Current Wireless Communication Facility Permitting Guidelines
- Board of Supervisors Meeting Summary Authorizing Scope and Budget for WCF Ordinance