Recreational Health - Public Pools and Spas
The Community Services staff inspects more than 1,500 public swimming pools and spas annually within the County. These inspections are conducted to ensure that the required safety standards and pool water quality are maintained in all pools available to the public.
A public swimming pool is any pool, wading pool, or spa that serves more than 3 families and includes pools at: condominiums, apartments, home owner associations, clubs, gyms, and community centers.
Plans and specifications for construction of proposed pools/spas are evaluated prior to construction to ensure that all public pools are constructed in compliance with minimum construction and safety standards.
Complaints and reports of illness related to water recreational facilities are also investigated as part of this program. To file a complaint regarding a public swimming pool, please click here or call 805/654-2813. Also, you can click here for a listing of pool, spa and wading pool closures.
If you have any questions about the construction or operation of a public pool, please click on a link below or call 805/654-2813.
Documents and Links
- NEW! 2015 Swimming Pool Code - PDF
- NEW! Response Procedures for Fecal and Other Contamination - PDF
- Swimming Pool Operation Record - PDF
- ADA Pool Lift Requirements - USDOJ
- List of Pool and Spa Closures - PDF
- Pool and Spa Sign Requirements - PDF
- Pool/Spa Draining Requirements - PDF
- Pool Cover Guidelines - PDF
- Pool Construction Application Form - PDF
- Plancheck Worksheet for Pool Resurface/Alteration - PDF
- Permitted Pool & Spa Facility List - PDF