The CalFresh program, helps people who have little or no income to buy nutritious groceries. CalFresh benefits are not cash. They come on an electronic benefit transfer (EBT) card that you can use like a bank debit card to buy food at most grocery stores.
To get CalFresh benefits, your income must be under certain limits (see chart below). There is no longer a property limit for most households applying only for CalFresh; however for those applying for CalFresh and CalWORKs, the cash resource limit is $2,250 per family or $3,250 per family if a member is over age 60 or has a disability.
If you and/or your family are eligible for CalFresh benefits you are most likely also eligible for Medi-Cal health coverage and may apply for both programs by completing the application online at My Benefits CalWIN.
When applying, you will be asked for information about your residency, citizenship, identity, Social Security Number, income, and property. Fingerprint imaging is no longer required for CalFresh applicants.
|Family Size||Monthly Gross|
|Family Size||Monthly Gross|
|1 person||$1,287||5 people||$3,081|
|2 people||$1,736||6 people||$3,530|
|3 people||$2,184||7 people||$3,980|
|4 people||$2,633||8 people||$4,430|
Each extra person
These figures are current October 1, 2016 through September 30, 2017.
How to Apply
First, use the easy online tool to check your eligibility.
There are several ways to apply for CalFresh:
- Fill out an online application for CalFresh here.
- Download an application (PDF) in English or Spanish. Mail the completed application to our Oxnard Mail-In office or drop it off at a Community Service Center.
- Call a Community Service Center to request a paper application, which includes a postage-paid return envelope.
- Apply in person at a Community Service Center.
If you are without money for food today, you may qualify for expedited benefits, so please apply in person. For more information about emergency benefits, click CalFresh benefits.
Online Report Forms are Now Available
You may now complete your Semi-Annual Report (SAR7) & Recertification online anytime by clicking My Benefits CalWIN, beginning with the first day of the month they are due.
Customers are required to submit one Semi-Annual Report (SAR7) each year. You are still required to complete a redetermination/recertification once per year and to notify us of changes within 10 days, such as:
- Your income increases above a certain amount
- Your address changes
Call your worker or 1-888-472-4463 for more details.
Online Access to EBT Account Information
To check your Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) account balance, view transaction history detail, check claim status, and locate retailers and automated teller machines (ATMs) that accept the EBT card, click California EBT Client Website. To learn how to replace your lost or damaged EBT card, click California EBT Client Website. Please remember that EBT cards cannot be used at some types of businesses to get cash benefits. Click California EBT Client Website for more information.
If your EBT card is lost or stolen, or if you need to change your PIN: Call (877) 328-9677
New CalWIN Mobile Application
Have an Android, iPhone, or iPad? The CalWIN mobile application ("app") is now available allowing easy access to:
- Check Your Case Status
- Get Current Benefit Amounts
- Check Your Renewal Dates and Renew CalFresh Benefits
- View Your EBT Balance
The CalWIN Mobile "app" will also help find the nearest Human Services Agency Community Service Center or America's Job Center using GPS or zip code lookup.
Forms & Documents
- CalFresh Application English
- Aplicación para CalFresh en Español
- CalFresh & Medi-Cal Application English
- Aplicación para CalFresh y Medi-Cal en Español
- HSA Assistance Programs booklet (English)
- Folleto de Programas de Asistencia (Español)
- NEW! Interactive Map to find a Farmer's Market that accepts EBT near you
- Food for Women, Infants, & Children (WIC)
- FOOD Share - Food Pantry List
- Healthy Eating & Active Living
- EatFresh - Tasty recipes, tips, and resources on a CalFresh budget!
- Businesses Accepting EBT cards
- Helpful Links & Information