Font Size:


This text does not display on the page but appears when editing. This is because the HTML editor was used to make this page. Adding questions must also be done using the HTML editor as the page uses custom styles and Javascript to display Questions and Answers. Answers may be edited and questions deleted without using the editor. Access the HTML editor by clicking on the <> above.

Click on a Question to expand the answer.

Case Opening

  • list iconWhat is the cost of your services?
  • Who is eligible for services?
  • How do I open a case with the Department of Child Support Services?
  • What type of documentation is needed to proceed with a child support case?
  • Why is it important to establish paternity?
  • What happens after paternity is established?
  • What should I do when I get served with the Summons and Complaint?
  • What if I ignore the Summons and Complaint?
  • What happens if I file an Answer with the court?
  • How do I request a genetic test?
  • How is the amount of child support determined?
  • Is there a way to avoid going to court?

Case Management and Changes

  • My situation has changed. How do I get my child support amount changed?
  • Can I change the child support order if my child comes to live with me?
  • Can I close my case?

Financial Questions

  • How does my employer know how much money to deduct for child support?
  • Do I still have to pay child support if I lose my job?
  • When does child support stop?

For Parents of Children Receiving Public Assistance (TANF or MediCal)

  • I applied for public assistance but I did not apply for your services. Why was a case opened?
  • The other parent and I already have an agreement regarding child support. Why are you involved?
  • What does it mean to "assign" my support rights?
  • What does it mean to "cooperate" with the Department of Child Support Services?
  • If the non-custodial parent does not pay will it affect my public assistance benefits?
  • Will you close your case if I am no longer receiving public assistance?


  • Can a friend, relative, or current spouse contact the Department of Child Support Services on my behalf?

Additional Frequently Asked Questions are answered on the California Department of Child Support Services website:

For definitions of some common child support terms please see the Glossary.

If you did not find the answer you are looking for here please contact our office at 1-866-901-3212. 

NOTE: As a convenience to our visitors, this page may contain links to external websites that are not managed or controlled by the County of Ventura.